Sunday, November 25, 2007

I've been Enchanted!

First off, I would just like to say that I hope everyone who celebrates Thanksgiving had a wonderful and safe Holiday. Those of you who may not, I hope you had a wonderful weekend. I had a very nice holiday and having 2 days off was like a breath of fresh air.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



So... Aside from Holiday shopping and spending time with friends and family this weekend, I got to see Enchanted last night. I cannot say enough good things about this film. I went to see it with high hopes and I left pleased as pie.

So here is your warning: IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN ENCHANTED YET AND ARE NOT INTERESTED IN SPOILERS... SKIP THIS ENTRY!



First of all, the one thing that really implanted in my mind that this would be a great film was the casting. With seasoned actors like Susan Sarandon, Julie Andrews, Patrick Dempsey and Timothy Spall included in the cast, I knew this movie was going to be something special. Susan Sarandon as the wicked stepmother, Narissa, was a perfect fit. Everything about her went into the character, the voice, the facial expressions and her actions. Julie Andrews as the narrator was a wonderful compliment to the movie-going experience (not to mention, she's one of my idols!). Patrick Dempsey as the closed-minded New York attorney and father of one's character cannot help but succomb to Giselle's beauty and kindness.

On that note, this film was a door opener for the lovely and talented, Amy Adams. She was perfect as a Disney princess. Airy, naive and sweet, she did an excellent job as Giselle. I just hope this role doesn't typecast her because I'd like to see her in other roles. I hear she was really good in Junebug, so I'd like to see her expanding talents. She has a voice like an angel and the poise of the most perfect Disney princess. Her sidekick, the adorable, wisecracking Chipmunk, Pip, was a typical sidekick, but irresistibly cute and funny.

I also really like seeing this whole other side of James Marsden. I'm so used to seeing him in action films like X-Men and Disturbing Behavior. But this year he blew me away as Corny Collins in Hairspray. Who would've known he had such a great voice? Seems this is his year to shine. His role as the corny, yet dashing, Prince Edward was great was yet another perfect fit.


Some of my favorite parts of this film were the "That's How You Know" scene in Central Park, "The Working Song" scene, when Giselle goes to work with Robert (Patrick Dempsey's character), Prince Edwards screwy chase to find Giselle and of course, The Ball Scene. The costumes in the final scene were gorgeous.

What I really loved about this film was that though it ended how most of us women would've wanted it to, it wasn't what you would call a "perfect" fairy tale. It was a very cute and light movie, but going on Giselle's evolutionary journey from naive fairy tale princess to a real life individual woman was exciting and refreshing. Going on dates with Prince Edward rather then marrying him after laying her eyes on him was both enlightening and contrary. I found this film had a great twist on the fairy tale stories we all know and love.

I believe that this is a movie for anyone who has ever experienced fairy tales or Disney in their lives. It had many throwbacks to original Disney films including, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, among many others. Jodi Benson and Paige O'Hara who in the past have voiced famous Disney princesses such as Ariel and Belle, made cameos in this film, which was really cool! They really worked hard to make this film work and they did an amazing job. Having Alan Menken back at work on the fantastic music, it just added to the whole experience. Every element of this film worked for me. I loved the story, the music, the characters, the acting talents and the direction.

This movie gets two big thumbs up from me, so get out there and see it! It's great for the Holiday season. Go see it with your sweetheart, your family or your friends, you won't regret it.

4 comments:

mo pie said...

Hi Jackie! Brand new podcast listener, and I just love you. I wanted to ask a Disney person this question and I figured, who better? I am having a debate with my husband about a possible hidden Mickey in Enchanted. (We both LOVED it, by the way.) I think that when Giselle is trying to find lips for the prince, she uses a red crab and a green caterpillar. I saw the crab as a shout-out to Sebastian, and the caterpillar as a shout-out to Heinrich from "A Bug's Life." My husband disagrees. What do you think?

Jackie O. said...

Hey mo pie! Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments, they are greatly appreciated!

Wow, you know I'm really not sure if I agree or disagree with you. This was an ADORABLE scene. I loved when the caterpillar had his little hissy fit for being treated like a pair of lips and marched off. I think that it could be a possible reference to both characters, so I guess I would agree with you. I definitely agree regarding the crab. What was your favorite past Disney movie reference in Enchanted? Mine had to be "Part of Your World" being played at Roberts firm when he brought Giselle there.

mo pie said...

You're very welcome! I now listen to your podcast during my commute every day, and am burning through them. I was indignant when Nathan said he thought Enchanted would be too campy when it's so perfect... and of course I saw on the forums that he was won over. So all is well with the world.

I didn't notice the muzak until I got home and looked it up on Wikipedia (and I was so amazed that the voices of Belle, Ariel, and Pocahontas were all in the film!)

My husband actually caught the name of the law firm (Churchill, Harline, and Smith) being a reference to the writers of the music in Snow White. I would never have caught that; I was impressed.

I was also impressed with the woman on the bench that Giselle gave money to being a reference to "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins. There were so many great inside jokes; that was probably my favorite part of the movie!

Of the ones I actually noticed during the film, I loved the crab (and possibly caterpillar), Giselle's reflection in the soap bubbles, and the Italian restaurant being called Bella Notte.

Jackie O. said...

I was very glad Nathan was won over? If you are a disney fan, how could you not like the film?? Wait until you hear the next episode of MDP... LOL. That's awesome that your husband caught the name of the firm and the reference along with it, I had heard about that one, but didn't catch it. I too love that the actresses who voiced Belle, Ariel and Pocahontas made cameos in the film. They did an awesome job at incorporating so many great aspects of other disney films into this one.

You are so right about the woman on the bench! That is a great one! I don't know how I didn't think of that one, I love Mary Poppins. Bella Notte as the name of the restaurant was so cute too, my mom caught that one and loved it! I cannot wait to get this on DVD. The soundtrack is great also. I love Carrie Underwoods song "Ever Ever After."