Friday, November 16, 2007

Pics & the "What The Heck?" Moment of the Day

I just want to give a shout out to the e-lurkers... I love you guys!


Here are a couple pics from The Tower of Terror Run if you haven't seen them yet over on www.waltsgirls.com. I know the pics look cut off, but just go ahead and click the pics for better viewing.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


And one last pic... Me and Minnie circa 1987!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



So today at work, I was telling some co-workers about some Study Abroad programs being offered by the College of Business at my University for next summer. They are offering two separate trips, one to China and the other to Cambodia & Thailand. I think both of these would be blast. I was just mentioning a few details about the trips to my co-workers and I mentioned you get one free day in Hong Kong to do whatever you wish. Of course, I said that I would spend my free day at HK Disneyland, what Disney Nut wouldn't?? The response I got to this? "You mean to tell me, if you had a day to do anything in Hong Kong, you would go to Disneyland?" To which I replied, "Of course! One of my goals in life is to visit every Disney theme park around the world." The response back? "Well, then I guess if that is a goal of yours..." Which was then followed, by an eyeroll and a change of the subject. What the heck is that all about??

I'm a marketing major and not only would I love to go to HK Disneyland, but I would love to see the difference in management and the way the business functions over there. So, what's wrong with this being something that I'd want to do? I'm sure there are wonderful things to see in Hong Kong, but who's to say I'd never go back? I was just a little bothered at the response I was given to this discussion. To each's own, right? Ok, so maybe I shouldn't get so worked up over this, but I felt like she was criticizing me and I didn't like it.

What do you guys think? If you had one day in Hong Kong, would you go to Disneyland or would you do something else? Let's just say, that someday AFTER that you'd have the opportunity to go back. Maybe I'm just an enormous Disney Dweeb. So be it, I say!

5 comments:

Steven said...

Sure, I guess I'd go to HK Disneyland. What I'd be doing in HK in the first place would be a mystery, but as long as I'm there I might as well enjoy myself, lol. The response from your business friend isn't surprising, as I think many people who "get it" with Disney are more right-brained people, or at least people whose brains are wired a certain way. Whatever it is, we are a minority...a happy little minority. Good post, definitely some food for thought!

Jackie O. said...

Thanks Steven, I'm glad someone agrees with me. You are right about us being the minority. I don't know why I acted so suprised. I wasn't completely bothered by this response, but I just didn't like feeling criticized. I mean, I'm not one to care what people think of me, I just wanted to see what other people thought. Thanks for the comment Steven!

Rae! said...

Wow I would love to go to Hong Kong.And If I had a free day guess where I would be???? Three guesses and the first two do not count......Yep Disneyland HK.
Disney people just doon't get it and that is their loss.
Go have fun!!!!

I hope you had a great holiday!!!!

Jackie O. said...

I'm glad you agree Rae :)It's just special for those of us who Disney means a great deal to. I had a yummy Thanksgiving and I hope you did to!

jen said...

Hey! I just stumbled across your blog and this post, and I thought while we were on the topic of college programs...
I'm sure you already know this, but Disney offers college internship programs in Hospitality (and, probably, marketing).
A student at my school (Lynn University in Boca Raton, FL) is currently participating in the program and is blogging about it at Working for the Mouse: a Lynn Universitiy blog
http://blogs.lynn.edu/workingforthemouse

Check it out! :)